Dr Melanie Babooram
B.A (Psych) (Hons), Doc Clin Psych/MSc, MAPS
Pain Physician, Palliative Care
Melanie is an experienced, warm and dedicated clinical psychologist who is committed to helping people overcome adversity and live fulfilling, meaningful lives in spite of pain.
Melanie has worked with all age groups, across many cultural backgrounds and clinical presentations.
She is trained in various types of evidence-based psychological therapies including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Schema Therapy in the management of chronic pain.
Melanie is also competent in using emotion focused, brain-based, Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) – models to help clients understand, adapt, and find vitality in their lives, despite the presence of chronic pain.
She is a fully registered psychologist with specialist endorsement in Clinical Psychology by the Australian Health Practitioner’s Regulation Agency.
She is also a board–approved supervisor of clinical psychology registrars.
- Interpersonal Therapy (IPT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- The relationship between trauma, childhood trauma and chronic pain
- To address these issues in her clients, she is trained in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) and Bilateral Stimulation (BLS).
- Melanie was awarded her Bachelor of Arts, with Honours in Psychology by the University of Sydney.
- She then went on to complete her combined Doctorate of Clinical Psychology and Masters of Science, also at the University of Sydney.
- Melanie trained in pain management at Royal North Shore Hospital’s Pain Management and Research Centre and has been an engaged member of the Sydney Pain Management Centre team since 2012.
- She has a strong commitment to professional development, and regularly attends workshops and conferences to advance her knowledge in all areas of psychology.
Melanie’s pain management philosophy: “Having chronic pain can seem like an isolating and confusing experience, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Multimodal treatments which encompass medicine, physiotherapy and your own personal psychology not only maximises your gains in the long term, but also ensures that you have a team with you every step of the way.”